Achieving Cultural Competency: A Case-Based Approach to Training Health Professionals
Editors: Lisa Hark, PhD, RD, Horace DeLisser, MD, Gail Morrison, MD
Associate Editors: Olivia Carter-Pokras, PhD, Darwin Deen, MS, MD, Desiree Lie, MD, MSEd, Ana Nunez,MD, and Debbie Salas-Lopez, MD, MPH FACP
The aim of this book is to provide the necessary tools to meet the ever growing need that health professionals in training and practice have to become culturally competent. Twenty-five self-study cases are presented on a variety of medical topics, including cardiovascular, pulmonary, neurology, oncology, hematology, immunology, and pediatric disorders. Learners will not only gain knowledge, but have direct insight into real life, actual scenarios that occurr in clinical settings. Cultural factors covered within the cases include cultural diversity plus gender, language, folk beliefs, socioeconomic status, religion, and sexual orientation.
Table of Contents
- Case 1: Ruth Franklin. 40-year-old African-American woman with heart failure.
- Case 2: Carl Jones. 48-year-old homeless man with chest pain and lung cancer.
- Case 3: Maria Morales. 57-year-old Mexican woman with type 2 diabetes.
- Case 4: Maya Mohammad. 16-year-old Arab-American teenager with leukemia.
- Case 5: Jon Le. 48-year-old Korean man with cerebral hemorrhage.
- Case 6: Nadia Rosenberg. 45-year-old Russian woman with drug-resistant tuberculosis.
- Case 7: Isabel Delgado. 47-year-old Dominican woman with hypertension.
- Case 8: George Dennis. 35-year-old African-American man with AIDS.
- Case 9: Mary Jones. 2-year-old Caucasian girl with delayed speech development.
- Case 10: Priya Krishnamurthy. 73-year-old Asian-Indian woman with a stroke.
- Case 11: Carlos Cruz. 34-year-old Mexican man with sleep apnea and metabolic syndrome.
- Case 12: Denise Smith. 41-year-old Caucasian woman with asthma.
- Case 13: f Mae Ling Chung. 22-year-old Chinese immigrant woman with an arranged marriage.
- Case 14: Earl Collins. 73-year-old African-American man with lung cancer.
- Case 15: Irma Matos. 66-year-old Ecuadorian woman with type 2 diabetes and hypertension.
- Case 16: Eileen Clark. 82-year-old African-American woman with a stroke.
- Case 17: Leslie O'Malley. 66-year-old Irish-American man with breast cancer.
- Case 18: Juana Caban. 21-year-old Puerto Rican woman who is pregnant and HIV+.
- Case 19: Alice Gregory. 71-year-old African-American woman with aortic stenosis.
- Case 20: Sunil Guha. 32-year-old Asian-Indian man with metabolic syndrome.
- Case 21: Pepper Hawthorne. 19-year-old Caucasian woman with a stroke.
- Case 22: Alika Nkuutu. 24-year-old African woman with sickle cell disease.
- Case 23: Miguel Cortez. 9-year-old Mexican boy with asthma.
- Case 24: Naomi Fulton. 49-year-old African-American woman with metabolic syndrome.
- Case 25: Bobby Napier. 68-year-old rural Appalachian man with type 2 diabetes.